By Stephen Bloom | January 4, 2010
Here’s the top five examples of over-the-top legal insanity, in reverse order of ridiculousness:
5. Neighbor sues woman for smoking in her own home
4. Double-murderer sues to claim his victims’ classic Chevy pickup
3. Holocaust denier sues Auschwitz survivor, alleging memoir contains “fantastical tales”
2. Tourist sues hotel, claiming swimming pool got daughter pregnant
1. Illegal immigrants sue rancher who stopped them on his land at gunpoint and turned them over to Border Patrol
The President of ILR rightly notes, “While ridiculous lawsuits may be easy fodder for late-night television hosts, they are no laughing matter for the defendants targeted.”
The ILR is exactly right. Stupid lawsuits hurt real people in real ways.
The pain inflicted by unnecessary litigation is financial, emotional, and sometimes even physical (stress-related illnesses). And our society pays a heavy price too. For example, what happens when citizens are afraid to report criminals to the police for fear of being sued by the criminals!!!???
Question: Have you been victimized by a ridiculous lawsuit?
Topics: conflict resolution |